Ten reasons move to Kubernetes
2. ExtensibilityKubernetes is an extensible platform. It means that developers can add their own resources. There are some existing resources, like pods, configmaps, and others, but if it is needed, any provider can create a new one. Besides resources, developers can create their own operators. An operator is a specific process that follows a specific loop pattern, it can be used to automate processes and resources. Generally, Kubernetes’ extensibility means that developers can more detailed configure infrastructure and increase the productivity of an IT team.
3. Faster time to marketKubernetes gives the possibility to use small containers while developing an app. It gives the opportunity to split a team into small groups with a focus on particular small features. This division significantly boosts the development flow and makes it easier to contribute changes during the development of an app. Also, these small teams are easily reorganized and scaled because they are focused on small functions.
4. IT cost optimizationKubernetes can decrease costs spent on infrastructure. With the use of its orchestration capability, it organizes apps into containers, which helps to spread resources. Without Kubernetes, DevOps tried to predict unexpected spikes and were not ready to manually scale containerized apps. Kubernetes organizes applications and frees unnecessary resources.
5. Improved scalability and availabilityToday's business has to be agile in order to be cost-efficient and available for users. In particular cases, there are peaks of performance and after that, there is a drop in load. It means that infrastructure has to be agile and increase performance when it is needed and reduces when there is less than average. Kubernetes makes it possible to change performance in order to meet the demand.
6. Multi-cloud (and hybrid cloud) flexibilityModern enterprise companies have already stored their data in combination with private and public clouds. It means that it is crucial to have the ability to distribute performance on appropriate clouds. Kubernetes with its container makes it possible to spread the load to a necessary cloud and as a result, reduce the operational costs and as a result increase the ROI.
7. Effective migration to the cloudKubernetes provides the opportunity for the migration of an app to a cloud environment. It is possible to install an on-premise server, move an app to containers, and then move it to the cloud. In addition, Kubernetes can be installed on any modern cloud platform like AWS, Azure, and GCP. Migration with Kubernetes provides the opportunity to significantly reduce costs and increase the security of applications.
8. Kubernetes is a future solutionIf a company decides to use Kubernetes, they can be sure that this solution will be actual for many years. These are some reasons for it:
- major cloud providers support Kubernetes out-of-the-box solutions
- alternative solutions (Apache Mesos, Docker Swarm, Docker Compose) are behind because they do not have such amount of functions, large community, and popularity among the enterprise segment
- Kubernetes develop at a high pace and new features released very quickly, besides, it is possible to add something new by yourself
Kubernetes will be a good solution because it was created by an enterprise and for the enterprise. Kubernetes will help to distribute the load and maintain a smooth and effective infrastructure.
9. InnovationWithin these 17 years, Kubernetes, as a successor to Borg dramatically changed. In the last few years, Kubernetes received three major updates a year. It means that it is supported by the team of developers and new features will be added in the future. The DevOps, who work with this software like it, because with new features they received more flexibility in maintaining and supporting their infrastructure.
10. CommunityKubernetes has a strong community and it means a lot for those who work with this software. There are a lot of groups of interest focused on specific areas of implementation of Kubernetes. These communities add new features and make Kubernetes more friendly newcomers. It means that if there is no feature, that is needed for business, it will add in perspective. Also, the community helps to solve challenging issues that may appear during the exploitation of the software.
To sum up, Kubernetes is a system that helps operate the application in containers. It helps to increase the productivity of the whole company, reduce operational costs, and improve customer satisfaction. This is an open-source project with a great community that will help in solving problems. However, if you have a small and light project with one server, you should probably use Docker Compose. Below, we made a comparison of Kubernetes and Docker Compose.
If you cannot choose whether you should use Kubernetes or Docker Compose, you can contact us to get advice from our experts.